Saturday, October 14, 2006

yesterday, saw a lil black fly insect thing fighting for its life after being accosted by a lil spider...it fought till the last..and the spider kept biting it...it was a one-sided contest all the way...

the scene took place right on the thick outer window glass of the living room...she and I watched...up close...in morbid fascination...

faced with the eternal dilemma that I'm sure on a much higher level confronts the wildlife photographers/researchers/filmmakers...should they intervene and save...but that would tilt the balance Nature works on....the food chain...it would be sacrilege for me to have played saviour...

so the insect died...a struggling, feisty wannabe survivor a few seconds ago and then just a lifeless tiny black form encased in white web...hanging there, preserved and safe for the spider's next meal...and sure enough it was gobbled up in another couple of moments...

the image stayed with me, and inside I felt a discontent as I had my rice noodles...that the life and death of a humble innocuous bug could have been decided by my passivity...it could have lived for another moment before it either lived on for another day or became food for the next predator in the area...the spider could have starved a lil longer and thus hunted with renewed vigor...

I do realize I'm being melodramatic as I'm wont to...but seeing it writhe and struggle to be free, stayed with me.

the spider still has its home under the casing of the glass outside.

Life.

2 comments:

qsg said...

Isn't it life though? Some things are absolutely inevitable... but we fight them every single day! Call it denial, or spirit of life! :)

Phoenix said...

qsg, calling it denial makes it sound rather fatalist...the end is real, absolutely...but surviving it till the last is what we call living...so, spirit of life, it is! :-)